Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
Mergers and Acquisitions are a vital growth strategy for any business irrespective of whether the economy is expanding or contracting. However, due to the global economic crisis businesses have to be more creative as deals are more complex. We have one of the most respected Merger and Acquisition teams in Pakistan. Our lawyers due to their extensive experience and insight have excelled in providing original and creative solutions for complex, time-sensitive issues.
Our clients seek our services in every aspect of the transaction; from structuring, negotiating, and documenting to closing the deal. We counsel both public and private acquirers and targets and have the requisite resources and experience to complete the largest and most complex national and cross-border transactions. We acknowledge that every transaction, irrespective of its size is of importance to our clients. On the one hand we advise the largest companies that are regularly engaged in such transactions, on the other we also represent numerous smaller clients and ensure that the quality of service that we provide is similar.
Our team comprises of the best-equipped M&A lawyers who are supported by professionals from the specific industry. Our lawyers are well-versed in the markets that our clients operate and thus work in a way that leads to effective and efficient deal execution. Our M&A work concerns companies in a diverse range of industries including:
- Banking & Financial Services
- Information technology
- Media and Entertainment
- Oil and Gas
- Real Estate
We have a track record of providing original and creative solutions that have had a drastic impact on businesses. In a short period of less than one year our partners have already executed a transaction worth approximately US $ 100 million. In addition to this our partners have been involved in major national and international M &A Transactions. Some of these recent notable transactions are as follows:
- Acquisition of minority shareholdings in Knowledge Platform In 2019, the firm represented Beaconhouse Group in investment of $2 million in Knowledge Platform with Lakson Investment Venture Capital. Knowledge Platform is the market leader in digital education in Pakistan. Beaconhouse along with Lakson Investment Venture Capital decided to make investment in Knowledge Platform because of the potential of educational technology generally and the early stage track record of Knowledge Platform Pakistan specifically. The firm carried out legal due diligence and drafted Share Purchase Agreement, Shareholders’ Agreement and all other ancillary documents to full a successful completion of the transaction.
- Merger transaction of Warid Telecom (Private) Limited with Mobilink.
The partners of the firm were involved in the acquisition and merger of Warid Telecom (Private) Limited (Warid) with Mobilink starting from the initial stage of due diligence to preparation of the transaction documents (including share purchase agreement and the shareholders’ agreement) andleading up to final completion. The transaction is regarded as one of the largest merger deal in the history of telecommunications in Pakistan.The transaction was completed in two steps, the first step entailed the acquisition of the entirety of the issued shares of Warid by Mobilink whereupon Warid became a subsidiary of Mobilink and the shareholders of Warid became shareholders in Mobilink. As a pre-requisite to the first step, permissions/approvals were required from the Competition Commission of Pakistan, Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan, the State Bank of Pakistan and the lenders of Warid. Warid Telecom Pakistan LLC, the principal shareholder of Warid was represented by the partners of the firm before Competition Commission of Pakistan which granted its approval to the transaction vide its order dated 18 March 2016 (2016 CLD 1344). The second step entailed the legal merger of Warid with Mobilink which was affected through sanction of a Scheme of Arrangement by the High Court in terms of Sections 284 to 287 of the Companies Ordinance, 1984.
- Acquisition of thirty percent shareholding of Warid Telecom (Private) Limited by SingTel, a telecommunication giant based in Singapore.
- Acquisition of hundred percent shareholding of Warid Telecom Uganda and Warid Telecom Congo by Airtel India; largest telecommunication operator in India and fastest growing telecommunication brand in Africa.
- Sale of hundred percent shareholdings in Warid Telecom Bangladesh.
- Sale of entire passive network infrastructure of Warid Telecom Uganda to Eaton Towers; one of the major passive infrastructure providers in Africa.
- A merger between Standard Bank by JSC Kor Bank Georgia, a group company of Dhabi Group, to provide comprehensive and quality banking services in Republic of Georgia.